Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Esther's Story



Esther is 16 and is in Form Three.  “I want to study Aviation and be a pilot, an international pilot. I need to get really good marks, an A or a B+, so that I can attend the Aviation School of Kenya. You must have geography as a subject if you want to be a pilot” she explains.

“I have been in Girl Power for three years.  I have learnt that being a lady means you are special and not looking down on yourself or other girls. There was a team of Girl Power girl leaders who came to talk to us regularly, and we planted trees one year, and then there was another year that we went to Sadili and participated in the Sisterhood World Cup, which is a Girls' Soccer League. I like Soccer but I don’t get to play much.  My favourite sports is actually baseball”.

“I live with both parents and my brother who is 19.  He is not going to go to university, he is already working. I am working hard so that I can reach my goals.  Girl Power helps me a lot, especially when I think about giving up.  I just know I can do it now”

Written by Hannah Collins, volunteer at Girl Power
Approved by Dr Liz Odera, Director at Sadili Oval Sports Academy

No comments: