Thursday, May 23, 2013

April's Story

April is 14 years old and softly but well spoken.  At the start of the day she performed a poem she had written herself about a teenage girl becoming pregnant and being sad about the choices her future held. She is in Class 8 at Nazarene school and her favourite subject is social studies.

“My life in Kibera … it is not good at all but it’s just what we have.  One of my parents has passed away and I do not see the other one.  I live with my guardians who I like very much.  I like school so much also”.

“I came to this school this year, so I joined Girl Power right away.  It has helped me to control myself.  I know how to control myself and I’m strong and I know how to, if someone asks me something I know how to respond and how to stand up for myself.  Girl Power has changed my life, now I know my future. I want to be a pilot and I am working hard to get sponsored to go to high school.  I am searching for a sponsor”.

Written by Hannah Collins, volunteer at Girl Power
Approved by Dr Liz, Director at Sadili Oval Sports Academy

No comments: