Monday, May 27, 2013

Loraine's Story

Loraine is 16 and chairlady of the Huruma Girls Girl Power club. “I have been at this school for three years, actually this is my third year. I have been in Girl Power the whole of the three years and been the chairlady for two years.  I joined Girl Power because I wanted to instigate the change that I wanted to see, and I am learning the skills I need.  Girl Power gives me a platform to be able to say the things I want people to hear” Loraine starts strongly.

“Interacting with boys outside school is even easier because of Girl Power because we are more confident.  Girls here don’t feel pressured to have sex or to be someone’s boyfriend so this is good”.

“I live with my parents and have one brother in junior school. I am lucky because my parents know the value of growing up to be a strong and confident girl.  They find me sometimes to be very, very overpowering and outspoken” she laughs

“I want the world to have a bigger image of women because we are very smart and we are very capable of doing great things.  Even in the Forbes magazine though there are many men, I believe that in a few years to come all of those positions should be taken by women – the highest earners! Women are amazing – they are beautiful, they are smart, they have such great platforms to do many things” – it sounds like Girl Power is the right place for you Loraine!

Written by Hannah Collins, volunteer at Girl Power
Approved by Dr Liz Odera, Director at Sadili Oval Sports Academy

No comments: