Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Catherine's Story



Catherine is 17 and attends Karen C secondary school. “I still have this year and next year to go until I finish school.  When I am finished I would like to be a lawyer.  I have a mentor who works as a lawyer so this has helped my decision, but I just love everything to do with the law.  I would love to go to Kenyatta University and stay in Kenya for my schooling and career”.

“I have been part of Girl Power for five months so far. I learnt many things: how to protect myself, how to cope with friends if we have a fight and how to cope with trouble. I now know how to prepare a budget as well.  I have gone to Sadili to play football though Girl Power.  I would love to say that Girl Power is a very good organization.  It helps young girls achieve what they want to be and what they want do in the future”.

When ask about sports, Catherine really comes alive. “I love sport!” she says excitedly.  “I love football so much, I am a footballer.  I played even before joining Girl Power, since I was nine years old. I am good! I would like to keep playing after school” she explains.

“I live with both my parents, my father and mother.  They take good care of me and I am proud of them – I think they are proud of me too!” she laughs.  “I have a big brother, he is studying in Zetech College, and I have a sister who is in Form Four now.  I am the last born in our family”.

Written by Hannah Collins, volunteer at Girl Power
Approved by Dr Liz Odera, Director at Sadili Oval Sports Academy

No comments: