Monday, May 27, 2013

Irene's Story

Irene is 17 years old and has only been at Huruma girls for two weeks. “The reason I moved from the former school to this one is because at the other school girls did not appreciate other girls.  Like for me, I was a tomboy and I was taken in a negative light, not in a positive way.  I cannot stay in an environment where no one would interact with me because I am a tomboy. They would not sit with me. So, I just decided to change schools.  This school has been better.  I joined Girl Power today, it is my first day in this club.  Making friends is still a little bit difficult because of different attitudes and personalities.  But I am a new student so I will give it time”.

“I live with my parents but they are separated.  The issue is that my Dad had an affair with another woman and my mum realized.  Though we all live in the same roof, they do not talk to each other in the best way.  A lot of the time my Dad is not at home, he is travelling or I do not know where he is.  It hurts me so much, but I cannot interfere.  But it really hurts”.

“I have a big brother and he is in Dubai, and an elder sister who is in college at ZETECH and I’m the third born.  Our last born is in class seven.  When I finish school I want to be a lawyer.  Most likely I will travel overseas and work in Kenya.  The purpose of my decision to be lawyer is because of how men treat women, that is why I decided I want to be a lawyer.  So that when I grow up and have my own life I can stand up for the women and fight for their rights because often in our society women are looked down upon. I want to fight for women’s rights and the girl child”.

Written by Hannah Collins, volunteer at Girl Power
Approved by Dr Liz Odera, Director at Sadili Oval Sports Academy

No comments: