Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Bella's Volunteer Experience At Girl Power

Bella marking the girls
attendance sheet.
''Bella Achieng' is not just an ordinary girl: she is determined to do her best to excel in life and she is not afraid or ashamed to do it. She is very lively and loud and funny. She loves fun and we often hear her laugh. "Its been interesting seeing her learn and grow and come up with her own ideas on how to improve things around'', says fellow Project Assistant, Jayoung Margaret, and she goes on to explain, "Bella first met us through our face book page https://www.facebook.com/wanjikugirlpower.kenya. She would often inbox the admin, either congratulating us or asking about what the next event is and how she could join. That's how she joined us for her first workshop in December 2012, during the Ex-Cans Leadership Workshop where along with others they got trained in basic Leadership skills.
 http://girlpowerclubs.blogspot.com/2012/12/ex-cans-volunteer-leadership-workshop.html.
Bella is now off tin September to attend a full time course in Nutrition at one of Catholic's University's constituent colleges and is lucky to have secured a scholarship for that. At some point...she hopes she can pursue a course in Education! Good luck girl!
Here's her experience in her words
'' I thank God for granting me me the chance to be part of Girl Power Clubs Africa and again special thanks goes to our patron Dr. Liz Odera and Jayoung.
I came to know Girl Power Club through Facebook, and immediately became interested in the activities that they would post, I became one great fan of their page till it reached a time they recognised me.
Bella  & Diana having
fun with the girls
I first attended their training during the December Holiday of 2012. I really liked what I saw  that day and i thought maybe i could come up with something much more if i joined them. After completing high school, I asked for a chance to work with Girl Power Clubsand by God's grace, I was granted the chance together with my friend Diana"

"Today I am happy young woman because I have grown in all sectors. I have learnt to be ''mtulivu and mnyeyekevu''  as Mr. Clement (one of the Sadili Staff members) puts it. I have also got a chance to meet different people and have learnt to appreciate them.
Dr. Liz Odera has become my role model. She is works very hard to ensure that things are on track. Besides she is a sports woman and very flexible, she never stays idle!
I will be in Girl Power forever because I believe the power is in me. Again from the most inner soul of me I say thank you very much for the opportunity to serve other girls. I took a chance, trusted, received support, and the result were amazing!"

Bella, we are proud of your progress and wish you all the best in College!



 Story compiled by                                                    Story Edited and Approved by
Jayoung Naphtalie Margaret                                      Dr. Liz Odera
Project Assistant                                                         Programme Director
Girl Power Clubs Africa                                             Sadili Oval Sports Academy





No comments: